The atlas is a treasure trove of information and an excellent source for anyone attempting to clear the highly challenging UPSC exam. It is as crucial as any textbook, newspaper, or guide.
The atlas holds a vital role in helping you prepare for the UPSC. In this blog, we guide you in using the atlas as a crucial resource for your UPSC exam preparation.
How helpful is atlas preparation for UPSC Prelims?
The Oxford Student atlas is more than enough to get you started on tackling a plethora of questions. The atlas comes to your aid to help you with:
- Understanding newspaper articles
- Studying and understanding maps
- Locating countries and places
- Understanding the physical and geographical features of the world
- Studying oceanic currents
- Understanding climatic conditions
- For studying World History
- For studying The History of India
- Understanding highways and coastal regions
- Exploring neighboring countries and international borders
- Understanding current affairs
Also Read: 15 Terminologies Used In The IAS Mains Exam
Static Map Reading
In static map reading, candidates must use the atlas while studying Geography along with the map book. The map diagram and the atlas will give a better idea and clarity about the concept that they are referring to.
Tips for understanding the World Map easily
- Deal with one continent at a time
- Start with North America, because it has only three countries.
- Use a new world map with the outline of the countries to locate physical features like mountains, plains, deltas, and valleys.
- Give importance to all water bodies.
- Use a “rivers” map to identify lakes.
Tips for mastering India Physical Map
- The main aspects to be noted are rivers, mountains, valleys, hills, soil, islands, lakes, etc
- Focus on one element at a time
- Use acronyms to remember hills or rivers in the north-south or east-west chronology.
- Cover all major rivers first.
- Trace the origin, flow, states, confluence, tributaries, etc.
- DO NOT FORGET DAMS.
- Understand mountains and glaciers in the same systematic way.
- Always correlate mountains with national parks, sanctuaries.
Role of coaching centres
There is no shortage for UPSC exam coaching centres in India. What matters is the institution that prepares you for the exam. In Chennai, Chinmaya has carved a niche for itself as a leading UPSC coaching centre. Chinmaya is proving itself year after year as a premium destination for IAS coaching in Chennai. Highly-qualified staff provide exceptional guidance to aspiring candidates in all subjects that fall under the UPSC syllabus.
Current Affairs Books for UPSC
The book of current affairs plays an important role in the preparation of any competitive exams. The candidates give more importance to the current affair books as they act as a major pillar in the exams, which includes even the UPSC exams. There are many questions which are asked from the affair books and the happenings having the economic, political and country’s social ramifications. In this case, one just cannot compromise on the popular books which help you to get extra knowledge on the general but important information of the country. These books are available easily and can be bought online too.
List of most searched books will give a fair idea about the authors and streams in civil service examination.